8.08.2009

Electricity Sparks Inside of Me and I'm Free...


Alright, so ignoring the fact that Elton John can't read from a teleprompter (I'm just going to chalk it up to the fact that perhaps colored glasses aren't doing much for his ability to see after all these years), this clip makes me wet my theatrical pants. Seriously. And to top it all off, Trent Kowalik is my favorite Billy. Maybe it's because he's an Irish Step Dancer at heart (this fact makes me giddy with joy) or the fact that I watch him do this dance and my entire soul tingles. Yes, my soul. That's a big feat for a kid that has yet to reach puberty.

I'm impressed enough that this is a child doing this up on stage, but pulling off the emotional intensity of the "Angry Dance" can't be easy. Most kids don't have the life experience to apply to being that upset over something. The grunts and the yelling say it all, though. Billy is pissed. And how do we show our emotions on stage, kids? That's right, we dance it out. Angry with your rival gang? Snap it out like the Sharks and Jets from West Side Story. See, this is why I love me some Broadway. All problems solved with a song or a dance (unless it's a Sondheim musical, in which case you die or end up alone or crazy).

What I wouldn't give to see this show in person, with Trent as Billy. I would just die and giggle and fall down with glee. So just watch this..and consider your life changed for ever more.


Oh, and this gem...I don't know who this kid is, but dammit, he's FIERCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment